Some researchers maintain a list of their publications in a Google Scholar profile. If this is the case for you, you can easily migrate your publications from Google Scholar to the UC Publication Management System. This guide will show you how.
Begin at Google Scholar
- Go to http://scholar.google.com and make sure you are logged in with your Google account.
- Select "My Citations":
Select the items you'd like to export
Use the check boxes to select all the items you'd like to export from your Google Scholar profile. (Note, this guide assumes you've already curated your publications into a Google Scholar profile. If you haven't done that yet, Google will prompt you to add your publications ahead of this step.)
Export your publications
Select the Export button, then choose "BibTeX".
A file ending in *.bib will download to your computer.
Return to the UC Publication Management SystemGo to http://oapolicy.universityofcalifornia.edu
Log in with your campus credentials
Select Menu > Publications > Import
Upload your Google Scholar export file:
- Use the Browse button to locate the .bib file you downloaded from Google Scholar
- Select the BibTeX option
- Select Upload
Note: It may take several minutes for the system to process the file you've just uploaded. Please be patient and do not close your browser window.
Verify your imported publications
- The system will display the publications it was able to import from the Google Scholar export file. Take a moment to review these items to verify their accuracy. Be sure to check the separate lists for both New and Matched records so that you can determine how the system should handle potential duplicates.
- You should also check the Relationships column. If any of the imported items were not authored by you, uncheck the Relationships boxes, as appropriate.
- For more information about symbols used on this page, select the Key button.
- When you're done verifying this list, select the Import button.
Your Google Scholar profile publications are now imported
Your publications have now been imported from your Google Scholar profile. You can view the imported publications by selecting Menu > Publications. Imported publications will be listed in the Mine tab of the My Publications page.
Remember: your recent manuscripts may be covered by the UC Open Access Policy, in which case you retain the right to upload a version of the article for public display on eScholarship, UC's open access institutional repository.
The My Actions section of the Home tab will provide you with guidance regarding which imported items are covered by the policy and may be uploaded to eScholarship.
ResearchGate & Academia.edu
These sites do not permit users to export their own publication data, therefore it is not currently possible to migrate publication data to the publication management system from these sites. You can read more about these restrictions on the OSC Blog.